Wednesday, September 14, 2016

SPECIAL STAGE BITZ--COVER STORY ON 2017 MR COUTURE THOMAS LOPEZ

Photos by Jonathan





The 8th Annual Mista Couture Style Contest ,that was held Aug 21 at Winter St Louis' Studios, had two firsts. One, it was the first time  the contest was streamed live on Facebook and, two, the contestants who competed video called through Facebook Messenger Video. And the winner of the 2017 Mr Couture sash was Thomas Lopez from Philadelphia. We talked with him recently on his life and journey of becoming an established model in the entertainment industry.




OS:Are you originally from Philadelphia? If so how was it growing up in that city?

TL:Yes I am originally from Philadelphia; West Philadelphia born and raised. It was rough growing up in Philadelphia.  I lived in a single parent
household, my father had left when my twin brother and I were only 6 months. He left my mother in severe debt, so she and me and four of my sibling moved in with my grandparents. I actually recall a time when me and three  of my siblings used to sleep in one bed. My mother worked everyday as RN so that we could have better. Although we had little, because of the love of my family, I never felt like we had less. I was actually very sheltered growing up. By the time I was old enough to be allowed to leave the block, I only had a few friends, whom happened to be my neighbors. Often times, my friends and I would get into fights with the neighborhood bullies. It took us a while to earn our stripes, but eventually we earned the respect of our neighborhood. I really wasn't into the things most people my age were into so I felt kinda like an outcast. However I often found comfort in church, sports and my academics.






OS:When did you start to become into being stylish?

 TL:My junior year of high school I started getting more into fashion. I had a part time job, so started shopping at places like Express for Men, Urban outfitters and Armani Exchange. I fell in love with clothes and I started to pay attention to detail; layering clothes , accessorizing and etc. Soon after, I stopped spending money on expensive clothes and starting looking at the make of clothes as well as the detail as oppose to the name of them.


OS:Whats your favorite attire to wear and why? 

TL:My favorite attire is casual wear because that's  the attire I get most creative on. Casual attire for me can vary between and outfit such as, canvas shoes like Vans or low top Chuck Taylor's,  slim fit pants, V-necks, and cardigan to an outfit such as a pair of Oxfords, nice socks, slacks, a blazer,  a white button down shirt and some nice glasses. I can dress it up or dress it down depending on how I am feeling.


OS:Why did you decide to enter the Mr Couture Contest?

TL:Maatology Productions had contacted me on Model Mayhem and told me about the contest. I had never participated in a pageant  before and I thought it would be a great experience with good exposure.



                                                                                                                           



OS:Were you surprised when you won?

TL: I was really surprised I had won because this was my first pageant. I also took into the accountability that others had more preparation and time so I felt like the underdog.

OS:During the contest you elaborated on the fact when you were growing up you were teased by kids for being in their opinion being "ugly". How did you manage to cope with the teasing?

 TL:Growing up I was teased often. Between middle school up until my sophomore year in high school. I was often called "ugly" or referred to as "the ugly twin." Honestly, it was really hurtful, I felt very inferior.  It was the love of my mother and grandmother that helped me cope. My mother always said I was beautiful and encouraged me daily. My grandmother said I was beautiful and that I had features that resembled hers. With so much love and encouragement, I found courage and self worth in myself. We are all meant to shine just as children do so now in my adult life I try to shine the brightest.



OS:You also shown your great physique during the Undergear category of the contest. How often do you workout and what's your regimen?

TL: I love to work out and I love to be active. I was actually a jock in high school as well as college. I excelled in track and basketball so working out became a lifestyle. I currently work out with a herbal life group twice a week as well as my own personal workouts. I don't like weights so when I do lift, I lift smaller weights but longer reps. I have an evolution mask and I do high  intensity works, I prefer them better.


OS:So what are your hobbies?


TL:I love sports. I play basketball as often as I can. I still have b-ball ambitions. In my free time, I actually write poetry as well. I love to play chess, do crossword puzzles and anything that's challenging.







OS:.Talk a little bit about your social platform that you ran on during the contest?

TL:I am  a 6'2 , well built African-American male, so often times I get stopped by police officers. I have gotten stopped going to church , going to school , walking to a friend's house or walking to the corner store. Some experiences were OK and others were awful. Often times I feel like officers approaches were wrong  because they were fearful of the color of my skin and my size. However I feel how can police protect and serve a community that you are afraid of? Also in my community there is a lack of respect for those in authority so you believe it works both ways. I want to improve police and people's relations so we can end violence.



OS:So what's next for you? Any upcoming fashion shows or projects?

TL:I am always up to something, I like to get my hands on everything. I am participating in Philly fashion week as Mista Couture. I have a solo calendar shoot coming up in St. Louis.  I am participating in a short film that will later be entered in a film festival so everybody please stay tuned.



OS:What do you see yourself doing career wise in the next 10 years?

TL:My mother told me, "Before one door opens, you must close the other one." So I just graduated with my associate in Accounting and now I am focusing on my modeling career. In 10 years, I hope to be one of the faces of black male beauty; be involved in movies  and  fashion shows like for Calvin Klein.



OS:How can people contact you as far as booking you for modeling opportunities?

TL:To contact me, email is great especially for booking  thomaslopez143@gmail.com or reach me on Facebook at Thomas Lopez and Instagram at Tom_not_so_lopez. 

No comments:

Post a Comment