Thursday, January 16, 2020

OS 24: OUT ON THE TOWN/SPECIAL TRIBUTE TO STL RADIO PERSONALITY TONY J


HEY OUTSTAGRS!

ITS THAT TIME!!


TIME TO GET TOWNED!!!




We are seeking gents of color for our 2021 calendar set for NOVEMBER 2020 release. Shoots will start MARCH 16. You must be in decent shape, attractive, and comfortable doing artistic nude poses (no frontal) If interested in shooting email to snaphoney2011@gmail.com for more details! 




This week OUTSTAGN looks back at our experience covering some of the annual St Louis award event The Traffic Music Awards that were created by the late STL radio personality TonyJ who passed this week from cancer at the age of 49.


OUTSTAGN covered some of his award  shows in the past in its heydey. It was like the American Music Awards, hood style. 

Looking back, the award show has become a cemented event in St Louis bridging the urban community (hood stars, black politicans, comedians, tv personalities and performers) and giving it its merited spotlight.

Tony J was a radio personality for Radio One for about 20 years and was famous for doing his TRAFFICAAA report on air. Hence, The Traffic Music Awards were formed CIRCA 2008.  He was always gracious and gave OUTTOWN access to cover his award show.


Below are links to three of the award shows that OUTTOWN covered.

May he rest in his next level of existence.

MARCH 02, 2009

OUT 566--The 2nd ANNUAL TRAFFIC MUSIC AWARDS at ROBERTS ORPHEUM THEATRE March 1, 2009









March 8, 2010

OUT 798--THE 3rd ANNUAL TRAFFIC MUSIC AWARDS@AMBASSADOR 





March 7, 2011

OUT 972--The 4th ANNUAL TRAFFIC MUSIC AWARDS (TOO MUCH AWARD) @AMBASSADOR (DAY TWO)-MARCH 5





FIT TALEZ

The front desk people are the first people that you see when you enter a fitness center. They greet you as they scan your card for access to the gym. They normally reply afterwards, "Enjoy your workout."

Even if they mean it, or not. LOL

But this tale is about a manager at my current fitness center years ago when I joined this center in 2011. He was a semi buffed black guy  and he used to manage at Bally Total fitness (where I used to workout  from 1996 to  2010) before it  closed down. 

He was one of those guys who was a jokester--but in a college jock type pf vibe. I recall one day when I was prepping to exit the gym, he jumped up on the front desk counter and walking on top of it like a tightrope--Ringling Brothers style.

I couldnt believe he actually was doing this! Some of his colleagues laughed at his antics, but soon after that day, the following days, he was nowhere to be found.\


I assume he got fired from that daring stunt. 

LOL





A few weeks ago during the Christmas holidays, I stopped at a Quick Trip Gas Station on Vandeventer in St Louis to get some gas. I walked in to prepay for it and then walked out to go to my car to pump gas. As I was preparing to pump the gas there was a distressed  40 something black woman walking around the pumps asking people for money for gas for her car that was parked at the gas station.

I then thought, "Okay, now, what scheme is this?"

So, when she walked near me, she said, 'Excuse me sir. I need a few dollars to pump some gas in my gas tank. My car is right there." She proceeded to point her finger desperately toward her car.

'm sorry, I don't have any change."

And in this case, I didn't. I only had my debit card.

Then she said, "Okay."

She asked another gas pumper the same thing and then exclaimed, "Boy, I tell ya, people are greedy these days!"

Greedy? Excuse me? So, she needed money to put gas in her car and she thinks people she is begging to are greedy. Yeah, OK.

Who's to say she wasn't greedy to scam some money through peddling. A guy at the Amoco off Skinker and Clayton Road asked me the same thing, same scenario, around the same span of time before the Quick Trip situation.

Could she have been for real with her begging? Probably

But to be rude in trying to beg is like pastor at a church cursing during his sermon.

Okay??? LOL


I was like, here w
If you have an event, service or an artist to promote on OUTSTAGIN  email to maat.atkins@gmail.com



FIN.

No comments:

Post a Comment