Thursday, August 1, 2019

OS 3: OUT ON THE TOWN

HEY OUTSTAGRS AND OUTTOWNERS!
BACk FOR ANOTHER THURSDAY!
LETS GET TOWN!




STL radio personality and comedian Lady Re setting the fashions on 10
with her jeans top and elongated tutu with rock star hair before checking out the Diana Ross concert that was held at The Fox Theatre last Thursday.


STL radio personality and comedian Lady Re was letting the FASHION GODs HAVE IT in her ensem (see pic above) when she was set to see legendary diva Diana Ross at The Fabulous Fox Theater in downtown St Louis. She was among thousands who checked out the Boss during her her stop in the Lou. I didnt get a chance to even try to get a comp ticket to see the show. But, these days, all you have to do is go on YOu TUBE and sneak a performance someone filmed and see what happened. IM JUSt SAYIN....LOL.

But when asked about the show, Lady Re said, "AMAZING SHOW...SOLD OUT...SHE LOOK DAMN GOOD AND SHE STILL HAS A VOICE."

Oh, and she wanted me to use the pic for this, too. LOL



YOURS TRULY holding up a free drink ticket at the Gentleman Jack Real to Reel
event held at St Louis Science Center last Friday.


Last Friday, I checked out Gentleman Jack's real to reel event that was held at the St Louis Science Center in Midtown STL.  I got there before the actual venue closed so I didnt have to wait in line (MAAT dont do lines lol). But much to my chagrin, we had to wait outside in  the sunkissed sun until they officially closed the venue. So, I decided to have a sit down with other patrons who were sitting  waiting to enter. I heard various conversations from some twenty something sistas who were talking about everything from not being able to cash their check, having car trouble to how lovely a sistas wrap dress was.

The event officially was to start at 6pm, but they let us in around thirty minutes later. So I checked in my comp admission and walked up to the second floor where a young lady was taking pics of people with their cell phones in front of the Gentleman Jack's Step and Repeat. I also heard old school R&B sounds that was coming from Vandalyzm (I think he goes by DJ Daddy now LOL). They had complimentary appetizer food of chips with strings of BBQ chicken along with salsa, peppers, and the like that was quite sumptuous. I also cashed in my drink ticket for a Jack and Coke and proceeded to see who was there.


Of the 300 or so who were there  I did see some familiar faces when I was traveling the scene consistently in the past,. The event was managed by STL socialite Eddie Hollman (of SYGU days) and BFree Paparazzi was in the house taking flicks (Teddy B Free wasnt there but his lovely wife was there all a beaming in her blue mini dress)




Everyone mainly mingled, scoping, and chatted until it was time for the featured short films to be seen in the OMNIMAX theatre.










A patron signing a pledge board for free sponsored
merch.
The MaatView from the theater with filmmaker panel
after the film presentations.



While inside the theater, the host was winner of Real to Reel David Kirkman welcoming everyone to the event. Most people came into the theater while some were still hanging out in the party section. There weer six short films that were presented (two were by filmmaker Jon Alexander, "Enough"and "Cycle"). The content that was dealt with loss of a friend, seeking mental help after witnessing street crime, an everyday joe who waves at people, a documentary on ones experience in Afghanistan after 9-11. One particular film used still animation which was quite impressive, but based on the films that were in the running for winning the STL round, I can see Alexander winning (He won for "Enough" about a young streetmonger seeking mental help after seeing a neighborhood shooting."

The highlight of the event was during the Q and  A with the filmmakers when a sista from the audience heckled' I didnt see not one black woman represented in any of the films, with the exception of a woman playing a mother." Well, the all male panel was a bit dumbfounded with the outburst but
Hollman settled the moment when he said that last year they had an all female filmmakers and if she knew any female filmmakers have them to submit for next year.

BLOOP!


Kirkman also made a good point when he said that he would like to see more representation of black content on all backgrounds including black queer culture which got a nice applause surprisingly.

Filmmaker Jon Alexander chats with
a supporter after the event.


After the event, everyone rushed down to the panel area to chat with the filmmakers taking pictures and getting their last networking on. The party portion was still going on, but for the most part people bounced. Also there were STL socialites Becky and Larry Blue (I'm still waiting for that drink LOL), Rhashad Whittier and Mocha Latte.

Interesting tidbit while talking with Whittier. I asked him did he and his team (including Holman) still did Teese (the annual graphic tee event they used to do back in the day) and he said that that was the days of past and the event that Im attending now is about the stint of special events going on in St Louis.

I am so out of the loop. LOL




YOURS TRULY with STL designer Leonard Stewart


Last Saturday, I checked out the AW 2019 Fashion Show (#SSTEW3) with newcomer fashion designer Leonard Stewart who was presenting his own style of chic street wear. It was held at the St Louis Fashion Fund Building in downtown St Louis. One of the coordinators, Dwight Carter sent me an invite to check this out and I most definitely obliged,.

So, when I got there,Stewart immediately rushed to me and greeted me and showed me to the workspace upstairs (that reminded me of the TV show Project Runway) where the models were in their outfits waiting to walk down several steps to the lower area for the show. We chatted a bit about his show until he was summoned to other duties before the show (a sudden moment happened while the models ran out to tend to their parking meters to add money to tehri meters when one of them said  the city ticketer was ticketing cars. LOL).  The bottom level is quite swanky and cozy with hard wooden and waxed floors, high ceilings and studio lighting.


Before the show stated, I met one of the board members of the Fund, Susan Sherman (who is mentoring Stewart) who gave me as well as several early comers a tour of the venue. She showed us to a glass surrounded workspace where several fashion designers in the STL area have rent space with their works including Project Runway alum, Michael Drummond.

As I waited for the show, Sherman offered wine to everybody as we sat and waited for the show. 




One of the show stopping pieces 
The show itself wasnt that long, but from what I saw, I was impressed with what was showcased. Stewart (whose parents were there as Dad had his own video equipment filming the show) has a knack for detail and his pieces, they are definitely wearable tor a casual event say like a day party or even a rap video (The white skull mask wrap was definitely one for a hip hop star)


The finale


          Susan Sherman, guest, Stewart and fashion show coordinator, Dwight Carter.


After the show, his well wishers gathered  to greet him and take pics as well getting a chance to wear some of his outfits--especially the long jeans overcoat.

Overall, it was a nice intimate event.

Another tidbit......So when I was heading out, I heard someone call my name and it was a sista who I worked on the film Happy Hour with a few years ago when I was an Assistant Director (that was directed by Chrys Yvette). She inboxed me while I was at the event when I posted up a selfie and we chatted up a bit and she said that her daughter went to school with Stewart. she also talked about ho her daughter is fulfilling her dreams as a dancer and is seeking to head to the Big Apple to spread her wings. 

I was going to head to see Lion King at The Moolah Theatre, but decided to head back to the Maatspear Compund.


-30-
FIN.


If you have an event or business you would like to advertise on a future  OUTSTAGN BLOGSPOT, send all inquires to maat.atkins@gmail.com






No comments:

Post a Comment