Wednesday, August 15, 2012

OS21--FEATURE BITZ--RUKA PUFF

Photos courtesy of Ruka Puff except where indicated.


If you asked someone in the music know in St. Louis if they knew a rapper by the name of  Byron Anthony Waters, they would probably say, “No.”

But that’s the real name of STL based artist Ruka Puff, and then, the responding YES will then come from that bar none.

A household name in the indy music scene, Ruka has been in the rap game since the 2000s and for those who has seen him on stage know that he is definitely the showman, whether he’s taking his shirt off to do push ups, sticking out his tongue or beginning his shows sitting on top of a toilet--frohawk and all.

We had a chance to talk with this multi Traffic Music Awards winner about his background and upcoming projects.




Ruka showcasing his rocker side
OS: So, how did you get the name Ruka Puff?
RUKA: My rap name was Rukus and my street name was Puff so i just put them together and made Ruka Puff.





OS: You been grinding for some years now. What has been your experience being in the music business? What things did you learn about it?


RUKA:  The music business has had its up and downs 4 me. I have traveled the country and still provide for my family off of music.  The down slide is I understand it’s a dirty business and nobody keeps their word. Contract is key!






Speak no evil shot with a heavily tatted bare chest and dyed frohawk.

OS: You have a very unique look and stage presence, performing with toilets on stage and sticking your tongue out. How do you get the ideas that you get when you are on stage?
RUKA:  I use my stage how as a way to outlet. Everyone has this mysterious wild and crazy person inside of them and that person 4 me is Ruka Puff. I’m also a student of music and entertainers so i studied the best lol.





OS:I see that you added Rocka to your name, Why did you do that?
RUKA: Rocka is juts an alias since I do rap and rock.






Ruka on stage with toilet at the 2011 Traffic Music Awards at the Ambassador (pic by Ma'atology)
OS: With the signing of Fresco Kane to SoSoDef recently, do you think St Louis is getting a second chance to be on the music map? What are your thoughts about that?
RUKA: Yes definitely I think its coming back to the Midwest. The world need to see multiparts of the Lou and see what we’re really about. So, yea its a good look. He's (Fresco)talented.









Ruka in the zone at the 2011 Traffic Music Awards at the Ambassador (Photo by Ma'atology)
OS:You had an opportunity to sign with a national label. How was it like to be signed and how does it compare to what your doing now being in independent artist?
RUKA:  I’m actually still signed now to Hoo Bangin Records. I’m just goin through some things now to figure out the business relationship smh!



A slimmed down Ruka with singer Brittany J and rapper Amp at the 2012 Traffic Music Awards at the Ambassdor (photo by Ma'atology)
OS:What would be the most surprising thing people would discover about you?
RUKA: I love cartoons!


OS: I see that you have slimmed down quite a bit from the days of your taking your shirt off and shaking your belly. You have added doing military pushups on stage as well. Why did you decide to transform yourself?
RUKA: I just really wanted to get my health right so I wouldnt have a heart attack on stage lol but now Igot muscles so, oh well, but I still eat good. I have my cheat days on the weekend, like  special fried rice lol



The flier for his upcoming CD release party Aug 17 at Jumpin Jupiter.
OS: Talk about your upcoming CD signing at Jumpin Jupiter ?

RUKA: On August 17 at Jumpin Jupiter, u will see the greatest show on earth me with my band band blending many styles of hip hop rock funk pop performing songs off my rap album "End of Dayz" and my rock album "Dont Pee on the Seat" some str8 new shit lol!!!!


OS: Whats next up for you?
RUKA: Growth and maturity. I will be one of the biggest artist in the country when God says it’s my time!!!! And shout  out to maat!!!

OS:Whats your contact info?
RUKA: Booking rukapuff@gmail, 314 644 8114, twitter@rukapuff and also make sure everybody support my new artist (company), Center Born Ready Consulting,  a company I designed to help indie artist go from 1 level to the next!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment